Joseph Spine supports the Scoliosis Research Society as the promote the growing need for education, early detection and awareness to the public about scoliosis and its prevalence within the community.
Scoliosis is a condition that causes the spine to abnormally curve sideways, into an “S” or “C” shape. Although many people have not heard of the condition it is surprisingly common, impacting infants, adolescents, and adults of all races, classes and both genders. Approximately one out of every six children diagnosed with scoliosis will have a curve that requires active treatment, sometimes involving surgery. Early diagnosis is the key to taking important first steps to providing treatment that may prevent more serious problems.
National Scoliosis Awareness Month Campaign Objectives:
- Using the results from the BrAIST Study, highlight the importance of early detection and the effectiveness of bracing as early, non-operative care. Read more on the BrAIST study results.
- To have every state, district, and commonwealth to officially declare by proclamation their observance of National Scoliosis Awareness Month during the month of June.
- Increase public awareness of scoliosis and related spinal deformities through educational and advocacy campaigns of local activities, and community events during the month of June and throughout the year
- Unite scoliosis patients, families, physicians, and clinicians in a collaborative partnership that educate, and advocate, for patient care, patient screening, patient privacy, and patient protection
- Build networks of community collaborations and alliances to help sustain and grow the campaign
Joseph Spine will be highlighting resources, studies, treatments, and organizations in order to help patients with scoliosis be informed about early detection, treatments and connect scoliosis patients with others that can support them during treatment.
About Joseph Spine
Joseph Spine is an advanced center for spine, scoliosis and minimally invasive surgery. Founded by Dr. Samuel A. Joseph, a fellowship trained, board-certified orthopedic surgeon. His practice includes the specialized, conservative, and surgical care of patients. Treatment includes therapeutic injections, disc replacement surgery, minimally invasive techniques, and complex reconstruction of adult and pediatric spinal disorders. Dr. Joseph is also among a select group of surgeons to offer cutting-edge regenerative injection therapy.