In this blog post Dr. Joseph will review how minimally invasive spine surgery using Mazor X robotic technology can help people who are diagnosed with serious spine problems or complications that have not responded to medication, physical therapy or spinal injections.
Bringing State of the Art Spine Technology to Tampa BayJoseph Spine brings this state-of-the-art technology to our patients and offers a transformative leap forward in spinal surgery. Mazor X maximizes surgical predictability and allows surgeons to achieve greater precision for optimal patient benefit. As with other robotic surgical devices, Mazor X does not perform actual surgeries. Instead it provides surgeons with information and anatomical images of the patient’s spine. In the operating room using Mazor X robotic-assisted technology, the blueprint guides surgeons through the operation with more accuracy and efficiency. Mazor X incudes three integrated processes – Planning, Guidance, Verification – to assure greater predictability and precision during your procedure.
Mazor X Surgical Assurance PlatformThe Core of the Surgical Assurance Platform is an innovative set of planning and guidance tools indicated for implant and instrument positioning in spine surgery.
Stage 1 - Planning Robotic Assisted Spine SurgeryThe Mazor X system’s 3D planning software is used to create a comprehensive surgical plan as part of a total patient treatment strategy. A pre-op CT scan of the patient is uploaded to the Mazor X software for planning and then two fluoro shots are taken intra-operatively to register. A Mazor X Scan & Plan procedure utilizes an intra-op 3D imaging system, such as Medtronic’s O-arm, eliminating the need for a intra-op CT.
Stage 2 – Operate with Mazor XThe Mazor X Surgical System is attached to both the OR bed and the patient. With the surgeon in full control, the Surgical Arm guides the tools according to the surgical plan. The Surgical Arm's reach and range of motion allows for posterior instrumentation from a variety of different trajectories. Minimally-invasive spine surgery using Mazor X robotic technology can help people who are diagnosed with serious spine problems or complications that have not responded to medication, physical therapy or spinal injections. Conditions include:
- Vertebral fractures
- Traumatic spine injury
- Degenerative disc disease
- Spinal weakness or instability
- “Slipped disc” (Spondylolisthesis)
- Narrowing of spinal canal (Stenosis)
- Adult degenerative spinal deformity (Scoliosis, kyphosis)
- Revision Surgeries
- Low back pain
- Leg pain
- Uneven legs, hips or shoulders
- Abnormal gait
- Breathing difficulties when the rib cage puts pressure on the lungs
- The benefits of robotic spine surgery
- Increase surgical accuracy and help preserve surrounding healthy tissue
- Allow surgeons to more accurately place hardware during the procedure, thus lowering the risk of complications
- Reduce the risk of exposure to radiation from imaging scans
- Improve recovery time due to less time in the operating room and while under anesthesia
- Reduce pain after the surgery for a quicker return to daily activities